Monday, February 23, 2009

One on one with Ryan

My mum will be the first to tell you that there is no such thing as sibling rivalry nor is there a thing such as the older one left out.

However, I have felt that Ryan has been different recently and since we had Megan, things seemed to be more difficult too. However, I would not say that it is entirely because of Ryan, I think I also share some of the blame because I am also more short in temper and patience.

Having said that, I decided that we needed to have a one to one time together. Hence last Saturday, I brought Ryan to Mid Valley, specifically to the toy shop - Toys R Us. We spent about 2 hours there in total. He was so hooked with some of the toys on display that he managed to make some friends too playing there. I settled into a corner reading my mags while observing Ryan and his friends.

He seems to be very happy and e even got a cup cake treat during lunch. We were very tired when we left in the afternoon. I had asked him to hold on to some groceries I bought and told him not to sleep in the car so that he can help me bring it down, since I mentioned that he was such a strong boy. His response? "But mummy, I am a tired boy and a tired boy is not a strong boy". So much for helping me there!!!

That evening, his father came back with a surprise for Ryan - a remote controled helicopter. And they spent the night and the next morning playing with it. They even extended their session to the next evening.

However. Ryan had a little accident when he tried to touch the propeller and this made him afraid to go near the helicopter. But this did not stop him from bugging hubby to play with him!!!

Ahh ... sometimes we need this one to one session with the older kid to remind ourselves why we wanted to have kids in the first place and why we chose to have more. Ryan has been a dear to us and will remain to be so. We are reminded everyday of his smiles and mischiefs and I (at least) thank God for giving me the opportunity to be a parent to 2 wonderful kids.

May we have many more of happy times and days to come!!!

No comments: