Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Government reviving canning in schools

Gov't to revive caning in schools Apr 7, 09 1:51pm

The Education Ministry is to revive caning in schools to curb discipline problems among pupils, three years after making moves to ban corporal punishment, a minister said today.

The government made the decision to revive caning last month and it will issue specific guidelines on how to implement the punishment, deputy education minister Wee Ka Siong told AFP.

"We will allow the headmaster or anyone who has been authorised to execute the punishment, while parents will be notified and invited to witness the caning to be done in a confined area," he said.

"We need to take precautions because students nowadays are not like students those days - they are 'too creative' in breaching the rules now," Wee said.

In 2006, the government said it was planning to ban public caning in schools, where the punishment is administered on the buttocks or the palm of the hand.

The education ministry also said a year later that it was considering allowing schools to cane unruly girls to curb an upsurge in discipline problems including gang fights and bullying. -AFP

I just read this on Malaysiakini. And I am deepy disturbed. Yes, kids nowadays are difficult to handle, they are not like us in "those days" where technology was a luxury. Today, our kids are moving in such a fast pace, we parents have to run and sprint to keep up.

And I do admit that kids can sometimes test our patience and we parents are constantly challenged. But still, how many of us will truly say that we would resort to caning them? I am not sure if I have not reached that stage yet, but I can safely say that I will not use a cane on my children. I firmly believe that talking them will solve the problem better than using the cane.

You never know what they will do or how they will react to the cane. And here, this so-called minister says it is appropriate to deal with the rising discipline problems in school! This is so outrageous. Who is he to say that our kids need to be canned? And apparently there will be guidelines on this too from the principal to the parents to the child.

I do not know about you, but I am damn pissed now. To think that I gave birth to my 2 babies and they are subjected to some stupid ministry's rules. I dare them to lay a hand on my babies, even if they are really naughty, it is the parents who should be thinking about the discipline and the appropriate punishment, not some stranger who thinks canning is the best route!!

Niaseng!!


1 comment:

wsl said...

wa..i learnt a new English word today :p