Friday, May 1, 2009

Government doctors and hospitals

Now, before I go on, I just want to say that I have the highest respect for the medical profession. I think that they are just God sent, seeing that they are performing miracles everyday in trying to cure and treat us ordinary humans.

However, there are some doctors who are really bad apples and they have caused the entire profession to be a mockery.

Just read here, where the government doctor had prescribed paracetamol in excess and resulted in the death of a 7 year old boy. Come one, two 500mg of paracetamol 4 times a day? Why, that is what I am taking! But for a 7 year old boy? Come on! I bet you the government fellas will come out to say that there were no mistakes made. For sure.

Just as what our dear Health Minister also said when doctors as a government hospital were said to be doing their own thing. Apparently these doctors were actually performing their tasks up to mark and were not lacking in professionalism. Sigh, dear Health Minister, you really have to go pay the hospitals a visit. You need to know how the ground people are operating la dei.

And you know what the joke was? He said this "the waiting period to see a doctor at the non-critical zone was less than 15 minutes." 15 minutes my foot la. Ok, so maybe University Hospital and Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia is not fully government, but it sure as hell does not take 15 minutes to clear. I should know, hubby is always here with his parents, and it bloody takes like hours and hours to clear the poor guy.

Sigh, the medical profession has long been thought of as a niche profession. In Malaysia, it is a joke. Which is why I would not encourage my kids to be a doctor, especially in Malaysia. And they were talking about how to attract the Malaysian doctors abroad to come home ... what a joke.

No comments: